The Westmead Institute for Medical Research is one of the largest medical research institutes in Australia. Its research spans infectious and immune diseases, cancer and leukaemia, liver and metabolic diseases, eye and brain related disorders, and heart and respiratory disorders. Closely affiliated with the University of Sydney and the Westmead Hospital, the Institute's research extends from the laboratory to the patient.
The Research Support Division provides business planning, management and administrative services to support WIMR's research activities. Its Operations Department manages building services, research floors and the laboratories and specialised facilities they host.
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, the Scientific Procurement Coordinator will coordinate research procurement across the Institute's 11 research centres and Operations Department. This includes in-house Stores operations support, contract administration, monitoring and analysing purchasing arrangements, identifying gaps and recommending improvements to implement best practices. The position works closely with both internal and external stakeholders and therefore has a strong focus on relationship management.
This is a full-time, ongoing position.
The major responsibilities of the Scientific Procurement Coordinator are:
- Managing vendor relationships to improve supply processes and agree discounted pricing
- Review in-house Store operations and implement continuous improvement program
- Hands-on back-up for Store staff during times of leave
- Common consumables budgets and charging mechanism for research centres
- Consumable replenishment and storage across research centres, specialised research facilities and scientific platforms
To be successful you will need:
- 5+ years' experience in scientific sales, procurement or contract management
- Exceptional negotiation, analytical and stakeholder relationship management skills
- Knowledge of medical research laboratories, common scientific consumables and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast like-items from multiple vendors
- Capacity to self-motivate and work unsupervised
Closing Date: Friday 2 March 2018
View a full position description (PDF).
Apply for this position online.
Applications should include a Resume, Covering Letter and Statement addressing the selection criteria, quoting the Reference Number R192017.
All applications will be reviewed but only applications that meet the selection criteria will be considered for short-listing.
Only candidates eligible to work in Australia should apply.