The Westmead Institute for Medical Research (WIMR) is one of the largest medical research institutes in Australia conducting research across infectious and immune diseases; cancer and leukaemia; liver and metabolic diseases; eye and brain related disorders and heart and respiratory disorders. WIMR is proudly affiliated with The University of Sydney and Westmead Hospital.
The role will report into project Chief Investigator and will work across the laboratories situated at WIMR and the Westmead Hospital.
This is a full-time, 2 years and 6 months contract position.
- Perform day to day laboratory experiments;
- Undertaking a range of research and administrative support tasks including data collection, recording and analysis; and preparing and documenting results in accordance with established research objectives, time-frames and protocols;
- Assist in preparing research reports and other documentation, including undertaking literature reviews and data analysis;
- Comply with established research methodology, ethics, policy, protocols, and other regulatory requirements; and
- Maintain effective communication with supervisors, colleagues, and collaborators to support and facilitate research objectives.
To be successful you will need:
- A tertiary qualification in biomedical sciences and substantial relevant skills and work experience;
- A PhD in Molecular biology/Biotechnology/Microbiology or a related area is desirable;
- Sound knowledge and practical working experience in advanced molecular biology techniques and the biology of plasmids;
- Sound analytical, technical and data analysis skills and a demonstrated capacity to apply effective technical methods;
- Organisational skills and high attention to detail;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills;
- Small animal handling techniques;
- Knowledge of next generation sequencing technology and sequence data analysis;
- Experience in using statistical software.
Closing Date: 30 April 2018
Applications should include a Resume, Covering Letter and Statement addressing the selection criteria, quoting the Reference Number R072018.
All applications will be reviewed but only applications that meet the selection criteria will be considered for short-listing.
Only candidates eligible to work in Australia should apply.